Applications to participate in the SOAR for Youth Program are reviewed and accepted on a priority basis. It is important that the applicants accepted fully participate in the complete program, not merely the summer academies.
Global Youth Application Qualifications:
- Be social welfare foster youths
- Be in grades 6-8 (rising 7-9 graders)
- Have demonstrated academic capability (GPA = C average or above)
- Be adaptable to a group setting
- Have an adult recommendation with a strong preference for a social worker or court appointed special advocate (CASA) recommendations
First priority acceptance of applicants is for candidates that meet all of the global qualifications listed above, have submitted complete application packages by the deadline, and reside in the following counties:
- Contra Costa
- San Francisco
- San Mateo
- Santa Clara
Second priority is given to candidates that meet all of the global qualifications above, submitted a complete application by the deadline, and reside in northern California.
Third priority, should space in the program permit, are others that meet all of the global applicant qualifications.
Third priority candidates are generally only accepted if the acceptance of the youth being considered does not preclude a qualified higher-priority applicant from being admitted into the SOAR program in the same calendar year.
SOAR for Youth works closely with Bay Area county Social Services and Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASAs) to identify candidates that will benefit and fully participate in our program. Every year, on February 14th, the recruitment process for each new cohort starts. County Social Services and CASAs are invited and encouraged to work with their qualified youths who are interested in SOAR, to apply. The agencies submit completed applications by the deadline announced in the recruitment newsletter, along with signed liability waivers, medical release, and school transcript. After participants are selected, county Social Services staff obtain the court release and photo authorization needed to support their youth’s participation. SOAR does not consider applications submitted directly by foster families.
For Application Inquiries:
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Download/Complete the application (found on the Prepare to SOAR Program Sidebar) and return the completed application via the US Postal service to P.O. Box 1291, Berkeley, CA 94701.
- Submit the application on-line by following the instructions given in the annual recruitment newsletter.
If you send an application via the US Postal service, please do not send the mail registered, it will only slow down the process.