Did You Know?
- There are over 500,000 children in the United States foster care system.
- 1 out of every 5 of our nation's foster children lives in California.
- 3 out of every 10 of our nation's homeless are former foster youth.
- 70% of foster youth dream of going to college. Only 3% actually make it.
- 83% of children in foster care are held back in school by 3rd grade and 75% are working below grade level.
- 35% of foster youth have experienced four or more school changes and each school move results in a six month loss of educational progress.
- 51% are unemployed at age 22.
SOAR for Youth, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, was established in 2009 to provide high-quality support, opportunities, and rapport that foster youth would have otherwise received from their parents.
In community partnership with the University of California, Berkeley, Bay Area County Children Services, and community foster youth servicing organizations, SOAR helps foster youth move through adolescence and into their adult lives with confidence and independence. Through a four-year summer residential pre-collegiate program and additional years of sustained support, SOAR teaches, coaches, and counsels our young people in academics, life skills, leadership, emotional intelligence, and career development.
- 95% of SOAR Students Graduate
High School On Time
- 92% of SOAR Students Have Attended College
- 5-8 Years of Support
- Middle School to 2nd Year of College
Through four years of week-long residential summer academies hosted at UC Berkeley, SOAR teaches, coaches, and counsels our youth, ages 11–19, in academics, life skills, leadership, emotional intelligence, career development, and much more!
See What We’re About!
Staying Connected Events
Staying Connected activities throughout the year help participants stay connected with their peers, to make them feel they have a home base to return to, and to remind them of those who care.
Volunteer with Us!
School-Year Academic Support
Each SOAR youth has an Academic Advocate, workshops, a computer, and access to tutors. SOAR Academic Advocates help our youths stay on track academically and work through their personal and emotional challenges.
Become an Academic Advocate!
Summer Internship Program
SOAR launched an internship program to motivate and reward our academically successful summer program graduates and provide them with paid real-world work experience.
Learn About SOAR Youths!