To help ensure that our youths pursue an educational course leading to the fulfillment of their life goals and a bright future, individualized academic support is provided to our summer program graduates until they graduate from high school and through their first year in college. Caring, well-educated adults are trained and carefully matched to advocate for these young people. Our Academic Advocates help their advisees stay on track academically and work through personal and emotional challenges. The individualized advocacy includes weekly grade checks, tutoring, college and scholarship application assistance, and most importantly interaction with school counselors to monitor the youths’ progress in school and identify concerns before they become significant problems. This advocacy is also available to youths who are still in the summer program but have pressing needs for the services. Our Academic Advisor, a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, provides clinical support to our advocates who are paired with our youths throughout the Bay Area.
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
We are looking for academic advocates for our youths. Academic Advocates are responsible for ensuring that each youth has support for academic success (GPA Goal: 3.0+)
- Work with the student and high school to create an academic plan
- Meet with the student’s academic counselors at their school to ensure graduation and completion of A-G Requirements for UC/CSU qualification
- Maintain a working relationship with the youth’s school staff and guardian/family
- Guide the student along college admissions preparation (SAT/ACT)
- Assist the student with the college application and scholarship process
- Meet with the youth on a bi-weekly basis, or as needed
- Check the school’s online site for attendance, homework status, and grades
- Tutor/Help the youth with their homework, projects, etc…
- Report monthly on the youth’s academic grades and status